Construction on our church was completed in 1757. It is built in the form of a Greek cross, with two tiers of windows set in very thick walls. The reredos of white woodwork and four arched panels in black are inscribed with the Ten Commandments, the Apostles' Creed, and the Lord's Prayer. At the southeastern re-entrant angle stands the original "three-tiered" pulpit with its great sounding board.
In February 1863, the 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry held services at Aquia, noting, "During our short stay at this beautiful spot several religious services were held in this church in charge of our Regimental Chaplain, Rev. Henry Wheeler."
After the war, the Rev. Jaquelin M. Meredith, formerly chaplain of the 47th Virginia Infantry, was called to serve; it was noted that the communicant list numbered eight persons.